Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the Broke and Bookish
Hey guys! It is time for another TTT and this weeks topic is top ten of the most unique books I’ve read. I’ve definitely read some unique books and I am really excited about showing them off! so, in no particular order:
10. Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas – This book was extremely unique and I was hooked from the very beginning! AND THAT ENDING!
9. Only Ever Yours by Louise O’Neill – This book… Just… THIS BOOK. It is so disturbing and so close to true society it’s unreal!
8. Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma – This is the only book that I have read, or even seen, with this kind of subject matter.
7. Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff – What makes this book (along with the sequel) so unique is the way in which it is set up. It is not written like a normal book, but more like a case file/dossier with hacked files, Its etc. I absolutely loved it!
6. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo – The characters made this duology special because each and every one of them had their own back story and had their own talents to add to the group!
5. Asking for It by Louise O’Neill – This is a completely raw look at how sexual abuse is viewed in our society today and the way in which victims are really treated – especially on social media. Just the emotions it provokes alone makes this book unique!
4. This is Where it Ends by Marieke Nijkamp – This is the first, and only, book on this particular subject matter that really had me hooked and bawling by the end of it!
3. Spelled by Betsy Schow – This is my favourite favourite of all retellings! I think this uniqueness will shine on its own if you read it!
2. The Walls Around Us by Nova Ren Suma – I think the imagery in this book and the way it is told… it could be confusing at times, but at the same time it kept me hooked!
1. Pretty Wicked by Kelly Charron – The way in which we get into the mindset of the character in this book… which just happens to be a serial killer. The psychology the author managed to portray through this character within the book was unique!
Have you read any of these? Do you agree with my choices?
31 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday”
Yes to This Is Where it Ends and Forbidden! Both such hard topics to tackle, and the authors did an incredible job with it. Great list!
They absolutely did! Thanks 🙂
I loved Six of Crows! I have a couple of the others either on my shelf waiting for me to read them as well! Great picks! My Top Ten
Wasn’t it just anazing!!! I hope you enjoy them 🙂
I’ve been meaning to read Forbidden and Spelled for a while. I definitely need to pick these up soon. I’ve never heard of Asking For It but its totally grabbed my attention. I will be searching for a copy I think.
Rachel @ Paein-and-Ms4Tune
You should definitely get to them soon and I hope you enjoy them!! I hope you do pick up Asking for it because it’s such a powerful read and I really feel like everyone should be reading it because this is what really happens…
The cover of Six of Crows is really beautiful. I didn’t know it had many different characters with their own back stories. I’ll definitely read it now. Great list!
It is!!! And the back story to each member of the group is so unique and the way they all come together … 🙂 hope you enjoy it
I think Asking For It is a great book but I found it all a bit too much. Definitely one to read with the right mindset.
I think it was accurate. I don’t feel like it should be toned down because this is what actually happens and I feel like society in general really needs to face it and do something about it…
Yes to so many of these books! You have awesome taste! 😉
I have only read Illuminae, and that book is AMAZING!
Isn’t it just!!!!
Great picks for this week Lauren. I LOVE Six of Crows and it’s definitely a unique book in terms of the characters, their story and even the world it’s set in.
Also I really wish I’d though of including Illuminae or Gemina on my list this week. The format alone makes those books stand out a mile from all the others (also, did you see they’ve released the title of the third book in the series?!) 😀
Doesn’t it just! I loved SoC because the character just stood out from other characters I had read in terms of the way they were written and brought to life!
And most definitely! I absolutely loved the way Illuminae stood out on its own based on the way it was set up! I did and I am so excited… but 2018?!?!? 😱😱😱😱😱😭😭😭
Oh they really did. Honestly everything about that duology was beyond amazing but the character development was certainly in a league of its own.
Illuminae is probably the most unique book I have on my bookshelves at the moment. And yeah it seems like such a long way away but I reckon it’ll be worth the wait! 😀
It definitely was!! And I hate waiting for books … I just want them all at once 😂😂
(Just FYI I commented on your latest review but I think it went in your Spam folder. Let me know if it’s not in there because that means it likely got eaten by my computer and I’ll just have to re-comment! :D)
It was there!! You’re all good 😂
Loved Dangerous Girls! I think enjoyed is the wrong word to describe how I felt about Asking For It, but it definitely was an important book. There are several books on your list that are on my TBR, so hopefully I enjoy them too!
My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/11/top-ten-tuesday-102/
I know what you mean about asking for it! It’s such an important books because it’s just so true to real life
Yes it is. Anyone who thinks rape culture is not a thing should definitely read it.
I’ve been wanting to read Illuminae forever! I just didn’t think that the way that it was written would give a good story, but I think I’ll give it a go 🙂
It gave it something completely unique and definitely added another aspect to the story! It was excellent! 🙂
I might buy it next week 🙂
I actually haven’t read any of these but most of them are on my tbr. I just picked up the Grisha trilogy which I want to read before getting into Six of Crows. Illuminae is also one on my immediate tbr that I’m super excited to read. I have never heard of Pretty Wicked but I really want to check it out now, it sounds really interesting!
Ooooo definitely read the Grisha trilogy first!! It comes first and both series are set in the same world 🙂 and Illuminae was AMAZING!!! I hope you enjoy all of these – including Pretty wicked 🙂
I’ve read Dangerous Girls, which I didn’t like so much, and Forbidden which I loved although it seems a bit weird saying that about this novel… it was really heart-shattering!
It’s a shame you didn’t like Dangerous Girls so much. I absolutely loved Forbidden and recommend it every chance I get 😂