Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the Broke and Bookish
Hey guys! It is time for another TTT! This weeks topic is top ten books I liked/disliked more than I thought I would. I decided to go with book that I liked more than I thought I would! Without further ado and in no particular order…
10. Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma – If you read the blurb… I think most people automatically go NOPE based purely on the subject matter. However, I had heard some amazing things about this book, and I went into thinking that they can’t even be remotely right because…incest?!? However, this book broke me and my poor little feelings in all the right places and I would definitely recommend it!
9. Rites of Passage by Joy N. Hensley – I really detest this cover and it is a book that I really would never have even considered if I hadn’t seen a glowing review first. I still went into this book thinking I wasn’t going to get along with it and I absolutely loved it!
8. Only Ever Yours by Louise O’Neill – I was expecting to like this book, but I was not expecting it to blow me away the way that it did! I was left speechless and I had no idea how to even form words – let alone write a review!
7. Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas – Anyone who knows me knows that I love myself a good whodunnit. I think this one is absolutely my favourite and I think after everything that happened and the feelings etc. If you’ve read it, you’ll understand – I loved this book more than I ever thought I would!
6. Follow me Back by A. V. Geiger – Admittedly, I finished reading this on Saturday… I went into this book with the usual expectations of a book of this nature… but I was left reeling by the end and I just NEED THE SEQUEL!
5. Pretty Wicked by Kelly Charron – I actually lowered my expectations for this one because it’s really difficult to get the perspective right from which this book is written – and usually it’s done completely wrong! However, I was absolutely blown away by this and I can’t wait to read more from this author!
4. This is Where it Ends by Marieke Niejkamp – I am always on the search for books of this nature, however, half the time, I’m left disappointed. This book, however, exceeded my expectations and I cried for so long afterward!
3. Spelled by Betsy Schow – I have definitely read my fair share of Fairytale retellings, so I wasn’t expecting much different from this book. However, my poor ribs!!! I’m pretty sure I cracked one laughing!
2. Everlasting Flame by Katelyn Anderson – I went into this expecting to like it because the blurb has everything I look for. However, Joan and Dane definitely have a special place inside of me and I could re read this 1,000 times over and never get bored!
1. The Girl with All the Gifts by M. R. Carey – I was unsure about zombies in this. I doubted how well it could be portrayed considering all of the zombie films/ programmes there are out there. However, the way in which this is written etc. was absolutely amazing!
That’s it! I loved all of these books more than I was really expecting to and I am so glad that I picked these up! Have you read any of these? Did you enjoy them?
33 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday”
There are so many books on here that I absolutely loved, Lauren! I adored Dangerous Girls, Forbidden, Only Ever Yours… I love that our taste in books is so similar!
They were all such amazing (and downright shocking) books!! I wish I could read them all again for the first time!
Dangerous Girls made my list for the same reason!! And I really want to read Only Ever Yours because Asking for It was SOOOO good. If you haven’t read it yet I completely recommend. Oh and Follow Me Back is definitely on my TBR. It sounds fab!
Right!! I read it when I was in hospital a few years back and I was just like EXCUSE ME!!! I actually read Only Ever Yours and then Asking For It and they were both so amazing!! Asking for it left me bawling for ages – especially because it happens all the time! You so totally have to read Follow Me Back!! It’s on Netgalley if you wanted to request it, but otherwise when t comes out!! It was absolutely so amazing and the plot twist 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱
I also have Forbidden on my list! I absolutely loved it. And This Is Where It Ends absolutely blew me away. I’ve never heard of Pretty Wicked before, but I’m definitely looking it up. Great list!
It was absolutely amazing!! I was bawling for so long after both This is Where it Ends and Forbidden! I would think about them and bawl my eyes out 😂 I really enjoyed pretty Wicked as well! I think what made it unique for me was the fact that it was told from the perpetrators perspective, rather than the victims – so it was a nice change getting into that kind of mindset and psychology 🙂
I have been thinking about picking up The Girl with all the Gifts for awhile now and I shall have to put it up higher on my TBR. I have now seen Dangerous Girls on a few lists this week and now I have to go look it up. I have never heard of it before.
You definitely should!! It was a great portrayal! 🙂 and 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱 HOW HAVE YOU NEVER HEARD OF DANGEROUS GIRLS?!?!?!?!?!? It’s such an amazing book!! Like … please go read it! And please go read Dangerous Boys whilst you’re at it because that also broke my heart and blew me away. Just read them! 😀
Hahaha I shall ad them to the list because it seems I don’t have a choice 😛
😂😂😂😂 good 😜😜 let me know what you think if you do decide to read them 😀
I LOVED Forbidden. It was incredible. I love books that challenge my feelings and that one definitely did. I wish more readers would give it a chance.
My Top Ten
Right!! I can’t even describe my feelings about that book – they were just all over the place!
I had forgotten about Forbidden, but that could be added to my list too, I picked it up out of curiosity but got so emotionally invested in the book. I loved it 🙂
It was definitely one of those that keeps you up thinking!!
Yes I agree! 🙂
Great picks for this week Lauren, the only one on your list I’ve actually read is Spelled but that really exceeded my expectations as well. I don’t think I had any expectations going into this one which is kind of what made it stand out for me you know?
I have This is Where it Ends on my to-read list but I’ve heard some mixed reviews which have put me off a little I’ll admit. The fact that you enjoyed it so much is definitely making me want to get around to it that little bit sooner though! 😀
Thanks 🙂 Spelled was so much fun! And Wanted was great too 🙂 I saw the mixed opinions about This is Where it Ends too, but I really enjoyed it so I would definitely recommend it 🙂
I still need to get around to Wanted, and yeah mixed opinions on This is Where it Ends but I guess I can only tell until I read it for myself.
I just recently saw Spelled on GoodReads and it sounded really good 🙂 I will have to move it up my TBR!
You definitely should!!! And I would recommend some kind of support system for your ribs because it’s absolutely hilarious!
I love Dangerous Girls! One of the best thrillers I’ve ever read. Rites of Passage and Only Ever Yours are both on my TBR, so I hope I enjoy them as much as you did!
My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/02/21/top-ten-tuesday-97/
Dangerous Girls was absolutely fabulous!! You definitely need to get to both because they are both amazing! 🙂
Good to know 🙂
Oooh I definitely need to read The Girl With All the Gifts! Also, Forbidden! I have both, I just need some timeee. Only Ever Yours is one of the most incredible books of EVER. But I couldn’t include it because I was really excited for it so I don’t think that counts. But Rites of Passage made my list! I am so glad that you liked This is Where It Ends too, that’s another I need to read soon! Great list!
You should!! Both are absolutely amazing and both will leave you reeling by the end of it! You won’t even know what to do wth your feelings by the end of Forbidden! Only Ever Yours was soooooo good!!! I literally went into it with no expectations because, I’d heard that it was good, but avoided reading full reviews etc. Mind blown!! Rites of Passage was a surprise – but I was definitely put off by the cover! And you definitely should! My favourite book of that particular subject matter to date! 🙂
Okay, so I’ve read ZERO of these books, but Forbidden has been on my TBR for a while now, because almost everyone I know who’s read the book has told me that it gave them Feels. Incredible Feels. I really need to pick this up soon.
I also hear that Follow Me Back is really good?
THE FEELS!!!! You don’t even know what you are walking into, but you have to walk into t because THE FEELS!!! Absolutely incredible book and, even now, I could just bawl my eyes out whilst sitting confused about the feels I had reading this book! Definitely get to it! And Follow Me Back was pretty good. Nothing majorly fantabulous happened throughout, but t was a compelling read because of the police transcripts etc. So you just have to know what’s going to happen. And THE PLOT TWIST!!! The plot twist was just golden! Especially because of when it came about! Let’s just say, i read it about 10 times just to come to terms with what was going on 😂😂
you, my friend, know EXACTLY how to sell a book to me. O_O
*Goes hunting for Forbidden and Follow Me Back*
You HAVE to let me know what you thought of them!!! I can’t wait to see your opinion 😀
I need to read The Girl with all the Gifts! 🙂
Lauren @ Always Me
It’s so good
Wonderful list. The two here that I have read are ones I absolutely loved – Forbidden and Dangerous Girls. Forbidden was amazing, I had my misgivings before starting it but that book broke me and I absolutely loved every second of it. Dangerous Girls was such a surprise, I had no expectations and ended up reading it in one sitting as I couldn’t put it down. Feel free to check out my list here.
Forbidden… the feels!! I can’t even!! I would totally re read that book in a heartbeat just for the feels trip! Dangerous Girls is a book that I also read in one sitting and that was a good thing because I was in hospital at the time bored out of my mind. It left me reeeeeeeeling!!