Expected Publication: September 6th 2016 by Sourcebooks Fire
Nothing says Happy Birthday like summoning the spirits of your dead relatives.
Alex is a bruja, the most powerful witch in a generation…and she hates magic. At her Deathday celebration, Alex performs a spell to rid herself of her power. But it backfires. Her whole family vanishes into thin air, leaving her alone with Nova, a brujo boy she can’t trust. A boy whose intentions are as dark as the strange marks on his skin.
The only way to get her family back is to travel with Nova to Los Lagos, a land in-between, as dark as Limbo and as strange as Wonderland…
Note: I received an ARC copy of this book in return for an honest review. This in no way influences my opinion.
I have mixed feeling about this book. It took me a while to feel totally invested and, at some points, I actually found myself putting the book down and doing something else. However, when I actually got into the book, I was hooked and didn’t want to put it down at all!! I think we can all agree, though, that the cover is beautiful!! I love all the colours!
- Character development! Alex really bugged me at the beginning of the book. She was an extremely selfish character, who only seemed to think about what she wanted, rather than the bigger picture. She also blamed herself a lot for things that were never really her fault. So I can kind of see why she would want to get rid of her powers, but I think she probably should’ve thought of the consequences first. By the end of the book, she is a completely different character and one that I found myself supporting! I wanted her to succeed because she came so far to try and fix what she made wrong!
- Los Lagos’ world building was magnificent. I wanted to be there. I mean, I probably don’t because it was full of creepy stuff that you probably never want to me, but I still wanted to be there. I loved the rich descriptions that were given and I could actually picture the landscape and the various creatures in my head.
- MAGIC! Does this really need anymore of an explanation? I will say, though, I loved the different forms of magic and the fact that every person had a different form of magic.
- The Twist… I was not expecting that twist. Especially because I fell into it myself! Here I was, thinking misunderstood… and the BAM! Nope!
- The ending. It definitely left it open and has the possibility for more within this world… on Goodreads it is set as the first in a series, but there is no second book down on Goodreads as of yet… interesting to know whether there will be a sequel and in which direction it will go!
- As I mentioned earlier, it took me a while to actually invest myself in the book. I didn’t have a problem putting down the book and doing something else for the first 40% of the way through or so. Something kept me reading on and I wanted to power through it! Definitely worth it for that ending, though!
- I didn’t really ship the romance? I mean, there wasn’t really a romance side story, it sort of came in right at the ending, but because there wasn’t really this build up, I don’t really ship it! I will say though, it wasn’t the relationship I was expecting! So, kudos to that!
- The amount of questions I now have because of the very last page is burning my mind. Pretty sure I am going to have a hole in my brain by the time the next book comes out (if it ever does). I have so many questions, I don’t even know where to start!
All in all, despite the problems actually getting into the book, I did really enjoy this book! I gave this book 4/5 stars! I hope there will be a sequel and I am interested in knowing where it is going to go if there is going to be one!
Have you read an early version of this book? Do you have it on your TBR’s? Feel free to leave comments and I will check them all out!
Find me here: